Thursday, May 28, 2009

Throwing

I thought it might be interesting for you to see how I've learned to throw (the term for making pots on the wheel) and how I usually throw my pots. The technique is called "throwing off the mound" or "throwing off the hump".

Rather than take a video of myself I will let Michael Cardew show you. Michael Cardew is a very famous potter, now deceased, from England. He is well known for his work in Africa and was a fascinating and intense potter. He studied with another very famous potter, Bernard Leach, a name I hope you recognize by now from previous posts.

The video is ten minutes long so I will give you some markers if you don't have that kind of time. He starts talking at about 25 seconds; he divides the mound at 35 seconds; he cuts off the bowl, after decorating it, at about 7 minutes. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment